How to add and change a signature in Gmail
Creating a professional signature in Gmail can really make your emails stand out. A professional Gmail signature is the best way to promote your brand and provide recipients with your contact details.
This article shows you all you need to create a signature in Gmail. The native functionality of Gmail lets you create a signature template pretty quickly, letting you include contact details and HTML imagery.
Important: The following methods won’t let you control signatures in Gmail for all users. For companywide Gmail signatures, try our Google Workspace email signature solution.
How to add a basic signature in Gmail
Follow our guide below to learn how to automatically add a simple Gmail email signature to your messages.
1. Log in to Gmail.
Scroll to the Signature section. Go to Create new to start building your signature in Gmail.
How to add a signature in Gmail’s mobile app
1. Open the Gmail app and click Settings in the main menu.
2. Choose the email address you wish to send from.
3. Select Mobile Signature on Android devices and Signature settings on iOS ones.
4. Enter your signature text.
5. Click OK when done.
How to create a professional Gmail signature
If want an email signature design that uses more than plain text, a bit more thought is needed.
1. Firstly, you need to add relevant contact information. As this is a professional Gmail signature, include the following:
Your full name
a. Highlight the signature text you want to hyperlink. Click the Link icon as shown below:
If you’re happy with your signature, click Save Changes. However, as this is a professional email signature, you should also add an image like your company logo.
5. You now want to assign how your Gmail signature is applied to messages. This is done using the Signature defaults option under the signature editor.
How to add an image to your Gmail signature
1. Click the Insert Image icon:
Click Select when done:
You can also hyperlink the image with a specific URL:
How to change your signature on Gmail
Thankfully, knowing how to change a Gmail signature is a lot easier than creating a brand new one.
1. Open up Gmail.
2. In the top right, select Settings, then click See all settings.
3. Near the bottom of the page, you'll see something on changing Gmail signatures. In this section, add the text of your signature to the box.
4. Feel free to style away using formatting options or adding images.
5. After all that is done, click on Save changes.
Learning how to change a signature on Gmail can be pretty straightforward, but having to change it for every promotion or every season can become tedious quickly.
Changing things manually will take time, but they'll also come in handy. For example, you're able to change the font, font size, and color of any Gmail signature. You're also able to add hyperlinks to it, and clickable phone numbers too.
Managing signatures in Gmail companywide
This process works well for an individual user or a personal account. If you want everyone in your company to use the same default Gmail signature, you’re going to run into trouble.
Asking all users to create and manage the same signature template will lead to huge inconsistencies. If you have an IT department, they could manually go to each person’s desk and do the necessary signature updates. But that will be a tedious process. You also won’t be able to stop end users from modifying and changing their signature in Gmail directly.
In other words, you won’t have any control if you let your users manage their own signatures in Gmail.
Using Exclaimer to manage signatures in Gmail
To centrally design and control professional Gmail signatures, you’ll want to choose Exclaimer’s email signature management solution to do all the hard work for you.
You can then ensure everyone has the same consistent design whenever they send an email. Even better, you save hours of time that would normally be spent doing manual signature updates.